On April 25, 2015, a devastating, 7.8 magnitude earthquake hit the nation of Nepal. Nepal is famous for Mt. Everest and its natural beauty but is one of the poorest countries on the planet. Around one-third of the population lives on less than $1/day. Spiritually, less than 3% of the population follows Christ. The good news is that God has been at work in growing churches and church leaders!
Below is an email from one of our missionaries, Gene Wilson, who has traveled in Nepal for a number of years to train church leaders (though he isn’t based there). There are several prayer requests and opportunities to give. May God bring hope and healing in the midst of tragedy!
Dear Prayer Partners, (from Gene Wilson)
Greetings! It is with heaviness of heart that I write to you because of the devastation in Nepal. As you know, we have been working with pastors and church planters there for the last four years and have built precious friendships.
Nepalese Christians worship on Saturday, rather than Sunday. The earthquake hit at noon on Saturday when many Christians were still worshipping. People ask if any of our partners are among the victims. To my knowledge, all our partners have come through safely, although we have been unable to reach some of them. Some have lost their homes or church buildings. What can you do?
First of all, please pray:
- Pray for a Christian leader, K. He is safe, but their church building is badly damaged.
- Pray for a church planter, Kr. He and his family are okay, but one of the walls of his house collapsed.
- Pray for S and R who lead an inner-city church and are reaching out to the people in need.
- Pray for Stephen Chandra of ReachGlobal and Gil Nash of OC International who are going in to see how best to channel help for long-term relief and gospel transformation.
- Pray for people to turn to the true and living God now that many of the temples and statues they have revered for centuries have been destroyed.
- Pray for the Church to be strong and full of God’s love.
Second, as you are able, please give. There are many good places to give. ReachGlobal has been working with those committed to reaching the unreached in Nepal and strengthening the multiplication of healthy churches that transform lives. If that is your heart’s desire, give through ReachGlobal’s Crisis Response. We are invested for the long term.