One Piece of Advice
–by Omar Zook
Recently I took time to meet with some very special seniors in our church. Hershey Free Church has 17 folks over the age of 90. These are treasured people who are full of wisdom, full of experience, and full of life.
One thing I asked each of them was for one piece of their best advice. From all they had learned in life, what advice/wisdom could they give for how to live in the most meaningful, purposeful way?
I was struck with and inspired by a common theme in their answers. If I were to boil it down to its simplest form, their advice was, “Live with Jesus.” They said it in different ways, but the concept was the same.
- Grace Schoffstall, 91: “Keep close to God and talk to God; trust in God and thank him.”
- Marilyn Gibble, 91: “Put God first; keep praying and seeking God’s guidance.”
- Dottie Reese, 91: “Understand what it means to know and trust Christ.”
- Jim Mitchell, 90: “Saturate yourself with the Word of God.”
- Betty Blachly, 90: “Learn what it means to love Jesus.”
- Jean Fuller, 90: “Submit your whole life entirely to the Lord.”
I left my visits inspired by the words and lives of these special seniors. Live with Jesus. A simple statement of wise advice—but advice that if put into practice completely changes the perspective and life of the one following it. Live with Jesus. Great advice from a great generation!